On Wednesday afternoon we gathered at Worcester Cathedral to launch a dedicated period of prayer that churches in our diocese will grow both spiritually and numerically over the coming years.
“Praying for Growth” will be running until at least Easter next year as we pray that more people will come to know the love of Jesus and join us in our life and worship; as well as continuing to pray for our parishes, schools and all those who are already part of the Diocese.
The launch took the form of a pilgrimage around the cathedral led by bishops John and Martin, praying for different areas of our diocesan life as we travelled to different parts of the building. We also sang together, using a new worship song that has been especially written for this time of prayer by Dave Shaw, Worship Director at Top Church in Dudley.
Following this initial launch, Bishop Martin is continuing the pilgrimage, touring around the deaneries at the end of July/ beginning of August and we hope that parishes themselves will also use the prayers we have written and organise their own prayer events.
Bishop John has written:
“By 2030 we pray that we shall have healthy and sustainable churches which are resourced and encouraged to worship God, make disciples, share hope, and transform their communities. We hope to have double the number of children and young people in our churches, at least 100 new worshipping communities and congregations of 150 people in each major area of population. None of this will happen without prayer – please join us in this!"
Find all the resources linked to Praying for Growth on our new page on the diocesan website, including prayers, liturgy and our new worship song.
Bishop Martin’s pilgrimage around the deaneries will visit:
- Kidderminster & Stourport Deanery on 31 July – 10am at St Mary’s, Stanford and midday at Holy Innocents, Kidderminster
- Greater Dudley Deanery on 1 August - 10am at Christ Church Coseley and midday at St James, Wollaston
- Worcester Deanery on 2 August - 10.30am a said mid-week Communion Service at St Andrew’s, Droitwich & 12.30pm prayers at St Clement’s, Worcester.
- Malvern & Upton Deanery on 3 August – 10am at Hollybush Church and midday at Castlemorton Church
- Redditch & Bromsgrove Deanery on 4 August - 10am at St Stephen's Church in Redditch and midday at All Saints in Bromsgrove
- Pershore and Evesham Deanery on 10 August - 10am at Crowle Church and midday at St Edmund's, Stoulton