Research has identified that 9 out of 10 families expect the church to be in touch after their child’s Baptism. ‘Your Baptism Journey’ has been designed to help churches to meet this expectation. Each of the resources links a popular, secular children’s storybook to a Christian theme.
By forwarding the resource each month the church or parish will help the baptism families understand a little more about what Christians believe. The resource includes a Bible passage, activity suggestions linked to the story or the Biblical theme and a prayer for the family to use. A second prayer is included, to enable the Diocese and the local church to pray for baptism families.
There are 48 resources in total. Near the 1st of each month, the Diocese will forward that month’s resource to the parish contact by email; this is then forwarded to the families that have agreed that the church can stay in touch with them. It is recommended that the church also use this email to invite families to one thing each month that would be relevant to them as a family to attend.
How to start using ‘Your Baptism Journey’ with baptism families:
- Decide who will be the point of contact in the church.
- Compile a group email list of baptism families who have agreed the church can be in touch (this must be emailed as a bcc (blind carbon copy) so as not to share other people’s emails).
- Email Simon Hill to join the Diocese mailing list.
- Consider writing to the baptism families to introduce them to the resource (sample letter can be found here)
- We are happy for the resource to be used however it can best serve the community. Which could include: toddler groups, toddler praise sessions, (see Little Seeds), or buying some of the books to create a library, where both the resource and the book could be borrowed.
- Watch this video to find out more and scroll down to view all the resources!
Click on the book title to download a PDF, the theme is listed alongside the title.
- Guess how much I love you: You are so loved
- Elmer: You are uniquely made
- Harry and the Bucketful of Dinosaurs: God knows your name
- Peter Pan: Heaven is for real
- The Hospital Dog: Caring for each other
- Going on a Lion Hunt: Sharing the Good News
- There's a Dragon in your Book: The gift of imagination
- Postman Bear: Knock and the door will be opened
- Stickman: Jesus came to help us.
- Five Minutes Peace: Be still and know that I am God
- The Koala who could: Stepping out of your comfort zone
- Whatever Next: God has a plan
- The Sneetches Being humble
- Zog: Lots to Learn
- Amazing Daddy: Rachel Bright
- The Snail and the Whale: The Holy Spirit helps us
- The Rainbow Fish: Sharing and generosity (Easter special)
- The Rabbit Listens: God listens to us
- The Lion who wanted to love God Loves us
- The Tiny Seed: Heaven is like a mustard seed
- On Angel Wings: The birth of Jesus
- The Squirrels Who Squabbled: Sharing
- What the Ladybird Heard: Being responsible
- Have you seen Elvis?: Love everyone, including yourself
- The Lion Inside: The Lord gives strength
- How Big is a Pig?: Our God is a great big God!
- The Gruffalo: Have faith
- The Rescue Party: The body of Christ
- No Matter What: Unconditional love
- Handa's Surprise: Life doesn't always go to plan!
- Mister Magnolia: Give all your worries and cares to God
- That's not my... God knows you
- Aliens in Underpants Save the World: Jesus comes to save us
- The Lorax: Caring for God's World
- Six Dinner Sid: Generosity & love
- Have you filled a bucket today?: Love one another
- Oh, the Places You'll Go!: Ups and downs of live
- Where's Spot?: Seek and you shall find
- Norman, the slug with the silly shell: We are all precious to God.
- Miss Dose, the Doctor's Daughter: Caring for Others
- The Very Hungry Caterpillar: A new creation (Easter special)
- Dear Zoo: God made everything
- Paddington: Belonging and deeply loved
- Giraffes can't dance: Different kinds of gifts
- The Tiger who Came to Tea: God loves a cheerful giver
- We're going on a Bear Hunt: Strong and courageous
- Tiddler: The biggest story of all
Special Your Baptism Journey resources for...