Helping baptism families on their journey of faith.
Why use the Baptism Books resource?
Research has shown that families who have attended Baptism have an expectation that the church will be in touch with them. So they are waiting.
By having their child Baptised they have shown an interest in starting on a spiritual journey and the church has a role to play in this.
Baptism Books is a way of helping churches keep their promise to baptism parents to ‘welcome baptised children and uphold them in their new lives in Christ’.
Developed by our Calling Young Disciples Mission Enablers, families who sign up receive a monthly email which includes a secular book suggestion to enjoy together along with an explanation of how the book reflects something about God.
There are also activity suggestions linked to the story for the family to try as well as prayers for them to use. A second prayer is included, linking with the theme of the book to help churches themselves to pray for baptism families.
Mission Enabler, Helen Laird, said: “The resource is designed to be fun and interactive for families who have had their child or children baptised and are just starting out on their faith journey. It is also a great and easy way for churches to keep in touch with families who have come to the church for a baptism service and to continue to pray for them.”
Feedback has included:
- "My grandson and l are loving sharing these great sheets and a lovely story."
- "We love this one, read it last night!"
If you would like to sign up to the regular email with the monthly resource to pass on to your baptism families, please contact Helen: email@example.com
Download the monthly resource:
- Oct 2019: Tiddler - The biggest story of all
- Nov 2019: We're going on a Bear Hunt - strong and courageous
- Dec 2019: The Tiger who Came to Tea - God loves a cheerful giver
- Jan 2020: Giraffes can't dance - different kinds of gifts
Purposes of the Baptism Books project
- For the designated parish church to show a welcome to Baptism families
- For the designated parish church to keep in touch with the families who have had their child Baptised at the church.
- To help the family engage with God – to look for God everywhere.
- To support the family in their Spiritual journey
- To provide fun and interactive ways for the family to engage with the creator God /Christian themes in a non-threatening way.