This briefing comes from the Churches' Legislation Advisory Service (CLAS) which has published a rather more comprehensive occasional events checklist one which is available on their website.

The objective of the Cabinet Office Guide is to clarify what requirements apply when holding such events, including compliance with health and safety and food hygiene rules. The guide also indicates which specific actions need to be taken when organising particular types of events such as street parties or cycle road race. Overall, it answers the following questions:

  • What do I need to think about when planning an event?
  • Do I need any licences or other sort of permission?
  • How do I keep organisers, volunteers and participants safe?
  • How do I make sure that food and drink is safe?
  • Can I close a road?
  • Do I need insurance?
  • Am I planning an event for which there is specialist guidance elsewhere?

Before Christmas the CLAS was asked a series of questions about food hygiene and church catering: whether a basic food hygiene certificate is required to serve after-service coffee and tea, whether home-made cakes may be served in church, the rules (if any) for "bring and share" lunches and suchlike. CLAS has written formally to the Food Standards Agency asking for an authoritative view and is still waiting for a reply.

[Source: Cabinet Office - 16 January 2014]