Guidance for CofE schools in the diocese
- The Department of Education announced the creation of new-style academies in June 2010. They were to be state independent schools directly funded by the Secretary of State, free from Local Authority control. They would be private charities with the legal holding in the name of Company Directors.
- At this stage "Outstanding" schools and those in category would be eligible.
- The Diocesan Board of Education (DBE) issued a "Memorandum of Understanding" to guide all church schools. This identifies the key areas, including that Church schools remain Church of England and that the consent of the DBE was an essential part of the process.
- The DBE now has approved an Application Form for any school applying to the DBE for academy conversion.
- Church of England Academies
Information and guidance for schools considering converting to an academy can be accessed using the documents under the section titled 'Related attachments'. Further information regarding the Diocese of Worcester Multi-Academy Trust (DoWMAT) can be accessed on DoWMAT's website.
For all Church schools considering academy conversion, please contact Gilly Maxim (PA to the Director of Education), to discuss the application process in more detail. Gilly can be contacted on 01905 732821 or by email.
- DBE Academy Policy - November 2019
- Memorandum of Understanding between the National Society and DfE
- Diocese of Worcester Academy Application Form
- Diocese of Worcester MAT Information Form
- Members' Agreement