"How well are we doing?" is always a useful question to pose. PCCs and individuals may wish to set themselves some targets and it's always encouraging to be able to record the positive steps taken. Simple tools and simple indicators are best for measuring progress both in the long and short term.
Parishes are asked to supply each year to the diocese information on energy use and steps taken to reduce green house gas emissions.
Action for PCCs to consider
- Making someone responsible for reporting annually on energy consumption and ensuring that meter readings are recorded frequently and regularly
- Calculate the carbon footprint for each church and consider how reductions could be achieved and measured
- Recording all steps taken to reduce green house gas emissions or to enhance the local environment
- Inform decision making by estimating and suggesting ways of measuring the environmental impact (positive or negative) of any proposals.
Actions for individuals to consider
- Calculate the carbon footprint for your household and consider how reductions could be achieved and measured